Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Day 5

We went to Sigatoka Sand Dunes today. we walked the trails and saw AMAZING views of fiji. we also planted a tree each to help with their reforestation project since some of the park had been burned down by fires in the villages close by. then we were given the choice to take a two hours walk or one in the trails. sorry aunt diane... but i did the one hour walk. it was beautiful, we walked the dunes to the ocean and up some very steep hills. at the shore we were told to grab a stick we found and a shoe thats washed up on shore. once at the end of our walk, we made a little fiji woman with our sticks and tied her to a tree. we gave her a grass skirt and a coconut head in which we decorated. then we headed to the tree of lost soles. which in fact was a tree with all the hanging shoes people have gotten from the beach hanging on it. it was quite comical, but it was cool to see how they're trying to help to keep their beach clean. after everyone was done with the hikes we had lunch, they went and got mcdonalds for everyone. :) we played volleyball and soccer and rugby because some of the school kids from yesterday came with us on our walks today. once finished we stopped at two places where we shopped and got rid of the rest of our fiji money that we had. we got back to the hotel just in time for my most amazing fijian tropical massage EVER. to finish off the night, me and my close friends got dressed up and went outside to take pictures together. so all in all it was a pretty laid back day.
i miss you and love you so very much. ill give you a call soon once im in new zealand

and just to let you know its 3am on thursday here... i got up at 230. and we leave at 430 for the airport to catch our flight to NEW ZEALAND!
<33333333333333333

3 comments:

  1. I have been watching your flight from Nadi to Auckland on the computer and you have just landed. What a wonderful time you had in Fiji. I get jealous everytime I read your blog. Just exactly what is a "tropical massage" and how do I get one??
    Every day I turn on the computer and pull up your blog to look for updates. I feel like I am getting to travel along with you in a small way.
    Today, Daddy flew to FLorida for a meeting and will be back tomorrow. Robbie is working on a speech for his speech class. It is in the 90's again here today. Mrs. Mlynarczyk and I drove to Naperville (to the crate and barrel outlet for a new platter - hahaha) with the top down on the car and then took mini detours the whole way home. I am starting to make some progress on my tan. It was a good day.
    Isn't it great that Aunt Diane and Gma and Gpa were able to leave you messages on your blog?
    I can't wait to hear about New Zealand and your home stay family. I know it will be a great experience for you and continued fun and adventure.
    P.S. the cubs are tied with Detroit 1 to 1 in the 5th inning. I can't text you right now at the end of the game........"Cubs win! Cubs win!"
    Get some sleep tonight, we will blog again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. FROM AUNT DIANE
    Hi Amanda,

    I just finished reading Days 4 and 5 in Fiji. Good for you to do the hike. I know it isn't your favorite activity. I wish I was there with you as I have given up hiking in Arizona. It just isn't as beautiful as Washington hiking. I know I would love to hike where you are at. I could picture the hanging shoes! What a great idea. I just wonder what people do to lose a shoe in the first place?
    Buddy, our basset, had to go to the vet on Tuesday and again yesterday. His mouth was bothering him so yesterday they put him under to find the problem. He had a puncture inside his mouth that we think he got chasing bees in the rose bushes. We think he accidentally bit into a thorn. The vet also found 2 bad teeth way in the back so those were pulled. Today he is cranky. We had to muzzle him to get the bandage off his foot from the IV. He still tried to snap at me. He also snapped at me when I tried to put his harness on for a walk. Hopefully he will be in a better mood tomorrow. We had a little sprinkle of rain this morning and the sky remains cloudy. I hope my golf game doesn't get rained out!
    Guess I had better get moving! Love, Aunt Diane

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Babe,
    Are you feeling better today? I hope so. It is no fun to feel icky while you are traveling. Did you have a good time at the school and volleyball tournament?
    We had an electric fence installed for the dogs earlier this week. I have to take each of the dogs out separately on a leash and train them with the fence. It is very time consuming. Minnie got zapped on the first day and now does not even want to go out of the house. Once you get her outside, she will not leave the porch. Ellee and Casey are doing much better than Minnie but are still in the training process. Hopefully they will all have mastered the new fence by the time you get home.
    It is in the 90's here again today. Next week is supposed to cool down a little. I've been driving around with the top down on my car so I can get a bit of a tan. I hope I don't have seatbelt lines, hahaha. How is the weather in New Zealand?
    Hopefully you have a chance to blog again soon and not at 2:30am.
    Love you very much! Take lots and lots of pictures of your host family.
    P.S. Mrs. Eckman had her baby, alittle girl named Avary
    P.P.S. The Cubs are playing against the Sox in 10 minutes. Go Cubs Go!!

    ReplyDelete